Ah, summertime in Houston! A season that holds a dear place in the hearts of the masses, full of adventure, freedom, and family quality time. With the upcoming vacations, parties, and having the kids out of school your home will have a plethora of extra foot traffic during this season. One of the parts of your home that will feel this the most is your plumbing. At Loyalty Plumbing, we want to help you make sure that your home is ready for all the extra flushes, showers, meals, and more. We’ve compiled a list of the top 10 tips you should know to get your home’s plumbing summer ready!
1. Checking for leaks is a good idea at the start of summer. Winter may have done some damage that hasn’t been readily apparent yet, but the extra stress of more bodies in the house can make it worse. Be sure to check any possible places that could be affected, inside and outside your home, for leaks, rust, cracks, or any other damage. If you happen to find anything, call a plumber to get it repaired as soon as you can.
2. Make sure that the water pressure in your home is at a steady and sturdy level. If your water pressure is off, it may cause issues with your plumbing with all of the extra usage.
3. Avoid clogs as best you can. Learn what causes them and how to dislodge them and be sure to have tools on hand to work through them if they arise. These tools are things like plungers, drain snakes, and drain cleaners, all easy to find at the store.
4. Save money by conserving water when you can. Summers in Houston can be hot, and they can get dry, so finding ways to conserve water is good for everyone. You can put a stop to leaky faucets as a start, and so much more. Find energy-efficient appliances, turn off the water when brushing your teeth or lathering your hands, etc.
5. Take care of your washer. With extra bodies in the house leading to more laundry, you want to make sure that your washing machine is in tip-top shape. Before summer starts, do a full inspection of your machine to make sure there’s nothing damaged and everything is clean and ready to go.
6. Don’t ignore weird smells. A properly functioning plumbing system should not have a smell. Gasses from the sewer can leak in and cause headaches, and other smells can signify leaks in the pipes, mold, or other issues.
7. Protect your garbage disposal! With all of the yummy foods that summer brings with it, you need to be careful about the food scraps that make it into your kitchen sink’s disposal. Avoid putting meat products, stringy foods like celery and corn husks, and tough vegetable or fruit scraps into your garbage disposal.
8. If you find standing water anywhere in your home or around your yard, get it checked out. There may be a leak, and it also will become a breeding ground for the foulest of summer creatures: the mosquito.
9. Take care of your water fixtures, especially if you have hard water buildup. Use a decalcifying cleaner or hot, soapy water to remove the buildup. This will keep water moving through your faucets smoothly and help protect your water pressure.
10. If you plan on going on a trip away from home, we recommend finding a friend or neighbor to check in on your home periodically to watch for leaks or other home issues. Before you leave, be sure to take all of the above precautions to make sure your home will be ok in your absence.
You should make your summer as easy on yourself as possible and take care of these recommended tips before your summer holiday plans get into full swing. At Loyalty Plumbing here in Houston, we want you to be ready for the season and to know that you will be well cared for in the event of an emergency. We wish you a happy summer and will be on the lookout for your calls, though we hope you don’t need us!